Health Insurance, Housing, Food, and Child Care

  1. Home

  2. Academic Experience

  3. Student Resources

  4. Health Insurance, Housing, Food, and Child Care

Health Insurance

International Students

International students are required by federal and state laws to maintain health insurance while studying in the United States. Learn more about the International Student Health Insurance Program (ISHIP).

Learn More: ISHIP

Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants, and Trainees

Some teaching and research assistants are provided insurance through the Graduate Appointee Insurance Program (GAIP). The program sometimes pays a portion of the premium to provide medical coverage for a student’s dependents.

Learn More: GAIP

Domestic Students

Are you a domestic student who is not a teaching assistant, research assistant, or trainee? Sign up for health insurance by following the instructions in the link below for “How do uninsured students get health insurance?” under the Frequently Asked Questions section. Scroll down the page on the link below to see the FAQs section.

Insurance Info

Housing and Food

Living on campus at UW is an inclusive and supportive community where everyone can comfortably join in or confidently stand out.

The UW Food Panty provides food at no cost to students, staff, and faculty.

Child Care and Parenting

Securing convenient, affordable, and reliable child care is a top priority for most parents. Finding child care in the Puget Sound region can be difficult, and the University of Washington is working hard to increase supports for employees and students.

Learn More