HIHIM Application Timeline for Autumn 2024
Application Opens: November 15, 2023
Early Acceptance Deadline: January 15, 2024
General Deadline: March 15, 2024
Application Steps for Current UW Seattle Students
Research the Program
Review Our Website
Attend an Information Session
We highly recommend that prospective applicants attend one of our monthly information sessions on Zoom to learn about the program’s format, curriculum, admissions, career outlook, and more.
Prepare to Apply
Follow the steps below to prepare to apply to the HIHIM program.
Complete HIHIM Admissions Prerequisites
- Minimum 90 credits
- Minimum grade of 2.0 in a Statistics course (4-5 credits)
- Minimum grade of 2.0 in a Human Anatomy & Physiology course or series (5-6 credits; with lab preferred)
For early application cycle, all prerequisites must be completed before applying. For general application cycle, prerequisites can be in progress if they will be completed before starting HIHIM classes.
Draft Statement of Purpose
Length: 750 words (max)
The HIHIM program seeks to enroll students who are academically prepared, exemplify integrity, and offer a diversity of perspectives, backgrounds, and talents.
Entering cohorts include students who demonstrate an awareness of the value of overcoming adversity or disadvantage to achieve their educational goals. They are committed to representing the health informatics and health information management profession in the communities they will serve and lead.
- Explain why Health Informatics and Health Information Management (HIHIM) is critical to the field of healthcare. Include why you are personally interested in HIHIM as a career
- Describe a time when you overcame difficulties/challenges. If you experience difficulties that impact your academics while in the HIHIM program, how would you work to get support/overcome these challenges?
- What motivates your interest in healthcare in the field of HIHIM? Can you describe any personal exposure and/or career experience you have with healthcare?
The Statement of Purpose is not intended for you to share personal information that you are not comfortable providing.
Current UW Seattle students only need to submit an application to the HIHIM program. UW Bothell and UW Tacoma students are considered transfer students to UW Seattle and will need to submit a UW Application before submitting the HIHIM application. Returning students will need to start by submitting the Returning Student Request Form.
HIHIM Program Application
Access the online HIHIM application below – note that you are able to save your progress. There is a required section for uploading unofficial transcripts. If you do not have any non-UW courses that are not already listed on your UW record, please upload a copy of your unofficial UW transcript or a degree audit (DARS) for the HIHIM major.
HIHIM Application Materials
After submitting your application, log in to check your application status.
Admitted students are required to attend a New HIHIM Student Advising Session in August and HIHIM Orientation in September. Admitted students will be required to complete a learning module for basic knowledge of computers and standard productivity software, information retrieval skills, and electronic communication skills.
Contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions about applying to or preparing for the HIHIM program.