The UW Master of Health Informatics and Health Information Management (MHIHIM) program prepares you to lead in the rapidly evolving field of health IT.
Through the program’s unique leadership-focused curriculum, created and taught in collaboration with the UW Master of Health Administration (MHA) program, students develop leadership skills required to manage large organizations, while gaining deep domain expertise in health informatics and health information management.
Master of HIHIM at a Glance
|18 months, part time
(6 consecutive quarters)
|Hybrid online format:
– Classes one weekend a month (in person or online)
– Weekly webinar)
|Online or Bellevue, WA
|Credit and Courses
|54 credits (18 courses)
employment rate within a year of graduation
student satisfaction rate
The UW Master of Health Informatics and Health Information Management (MHIHIM) program provides a rigorous, competency-based curriculum that prepares students to lead in the health IT field. The program is structured around five key pillars: health information systems, health care data analytics, information governance, patient and organizational information privacy and security, and health systems leadership.
By the time students graduate, they are able to:
- Use current and emerging technology to enhance an organization’s ability to deliver the clinical and administrative information necessary for patient care
- Leverage an organization’s data to anticipate and provide clinical, research, and business intelligence requirements
- Assess, design, and lead enterprise-wide programs to protect and enhance the health care organization’s information assets
- Proactively advocate for appropriate enterprise safeguards that meet industry standards
- Collaborate, transform, and manage health information systems
UW Master of Health Informatics and Health Information Management (MHIHIM) courses are taught in a flexible hybrid (hyflex) format, where students can attend online or in-person while learning from the same instructor at the same time. A few highly recommended, in-person sessions are held at our classroom location in Bellevue, Washington. For most of the program, however, students can choose whether to attend classes in person or remotely.Learn More
To ensure students are knowledgeable about the latest industry issues and trends, the program brings leading Seattle-area industry professionals into the classroom as part of the UW Master of Health Informatics and Health Information Management Stakeholders Program. Through frequent guest lectures and panels, students gain valuable insider insights into leadership, enterprise systems, informatics initiatives, and more.