UW Master of Health Informatics and Health Information Management (MHIHIM) graduates have a great career outlook.
Fueled by general growth in the health care sector, demand for health services management professionals is on the rise. In fact, health services management is among the fastest-growing career fields today. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that employment for medical and health services managers, which includes jobs for health informatics and health information management professionals, will grow by 32% between 2020 and 2030.
Health informatics and information management are increasingly important to population health management and information exchange, especially with the explosion of health care data.
As health information technology (HIT) gains broader adoption, health care providers will increasingly rely on health information professionals for health information and HIT systems.
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Diverse Job Opportunities
Graduates of the University of Washington Master of Health Informatics and Health Information Management program are prepared for senior leadership positions in areas such as compliance and risk management, informatics and data analytics, information technology, and health records. More than 60% of recent MHIHIM grads report earning promotions or taking new positions after starting the program.
Potential Job Titles
- Director of Clinical Informatics
- Regional Director of Health Information Management
- Director of Risk Management
- Vice President of Revenue Cycle Management
- Chief Compliance Officer
- Chief Data Officer
- Senior Project Director (electronic health record systems, information systems development)
- Consultant (compliance, applied informatics, analytics)
- Privacy Officer
Master of HIHIM Graduate Job Positions
Here is a sampling of job positions and organizations from alumni:
- Director, Information Security, Noom
- Oncology Program Manager, Kaiser Permanente
- Customer Engagement Program Manager, UW Medicine IT Services
- Platform Product Manager – Data Science, Clarify Health Solutions
- Senior Product Implementation & Customer Success Manager, LeanTaaS
- Senior Clinical Informatics Analyst, Senior Link
- Supervisor, Navy Medicine and Training, Navy Branch Hospital, Bangor
- Pharmacy Automation and Analytics Manager, UW Medicine
- Senior Associate, Total Health Management Specialty Practice, Mercer
- Legislative Policy Manager, Providence
- Supervisor, Health Information Integrity, Seattle Children’s Hospital
- Health Data Engineer, Health Stream Analytics
- Healthcare Analyst, Milliman Consulting
- Business Data Analyst, UW Medicine
- Informatics Project Coordinator, American Immunization Registry Association
- Pharmacy Operations Analyst, RxSense
The UW Master of Health Informatics and Health Information Management (MHIHIM) program is committed strongly to the career development of our students. We offer a variety of programs and services to prepare students for a thriving career in health administration.
We encourage alumni to take advantage of the available resources for graduates of the UW Master of Health Informatics and Health Information Management (MHIHIM) program. Learn about the lives and careers of fellow alumni, browse job listings, and more.