HSPop M.S. Admissions FAQs

  1. Home

  2. Academic Experience

  3. Academic Programs

  4. Health Systems and Population Health Master of Science

  5. Admissions: Health Systems and Population Health M.S.

  6. HSPop M.S. Admissions FAQs

We hope UW Health Systems and Population Health Master of Science (HSPop M.S.) applicants are able to find answers to their questions here. Frequently asked questions are organized by topics.


Admission application deadlines and details can be found on the HSPop M.S. admissions page.

Can applicants apply through SOPHAS?

You CANNOT apply to this program through SOPHAS.

For the HSPop M.S. program, applicants need to apply through the UW Graduate School online applicant system as directed on our admissions page.

Does the program accept transfer credits?

The HSPop M.S. program may accept a limited number of transfer credits that have not been applied to a previous graduate degree. It is also possible to waive out of certain courses or replace them with advanced courses because of previous experience. Waiving out of courses cannot be guaranteed beforehand, and arrangements are coordinated once the student is enrolled in the program.

Do applicants need to submit official transcripts?

Official transcripts will only be requested when an offer of admission is made.

What is the process and deadline for submitting GRE scores?

Submission of GRE scores is optional for students who feel that their scores are a better representation of their current academic preparedness for the program than their transcripts.

See the HSPop M.S. admissions webpage for details.

Can applicants defer their acceptance to next year?

No, our program does not offer admission deferrals to incoming students. If applicants receive an offer of admission and are unable to attend, they will need to reapply for a future term.

Please Note: Receiving an offer of admission one year does not guarantee admission in a later year, and we therefore encourage applicants to think carefully about their timing before submitting an application and/or before deciding whether to accept or decline an offer of admission.

Can graduate non-matriculated (GNM) students take HSPop M.S. courses?

It may be possible to take certain courses as a non-matriculated student. Read the information on GNM/NM registration and contact the student services counselor (hservmph@uw.edu) to discuss options.

Learn More


For information on visiting, setting up a phone interview, and/or sitting in on a class, view the HSPop M.S. contact page.

Program Information

More detailed information about the HSPop M.S. program is in the about and program experience section of our website.

How does an MPH differ from an M.S. degree?

The Health Systems and Population Health Master of Science is pursued by some of the more research-oriented HSPop students. It also offers an optional clinical pathway available to students in certain fellowship programs.

Health Systems and Population Health M.S. students are mentored by many of the same faculty. However, the M.S. degree does not require the public health practicum and has fewer public health course requirements. These differences leave more time to pursue advanced research courses.

Can students complete the HSPop M.S. program part-time?

The HSPop M.S. program is intended to be a full-time, two-year program. While it is sometimes possible to extend this period because of unforeseeable circumstances, most students complete the degree in two years.

Cost and Financial Support

Please find costs and financial support information on the HSPop M.S. cost and aid page.

International and Undocumented Applicants

We welcome applications from international and/or undocumented applicants. Learn more about the details and requirements on the UW Department of Health Systems and Population Health (HSPop) website.